Top Pre-Owned Chevys to Take On Winter in New York
The second week of August is barely here, yet we can’t help but look ahead toward winter. Before we know it, the pavement, grass, and rooftops will be covered in snow, and homes across the state will be adding snowy members to their families. The average city in the United States gets 25-inches of snowfall each year, and if you have lived in this area long, you might be thinking that the number seems a little light. Your thinking is correct. Here in Albany, the average annual snowfall total reaches 40-inches – nearly double that of the rest of the U.S. Rather than pretend like this three and a half feet of snow isn’t coming, here at DePaula Chevy we believe it’s time to start preparing.
What better way to prepare for a New York winter, than by purchasing a winter capable certified Chevy car? Not every vehicle is equipped to handle the elements Jack Frost brings with him, so rather than settle for a car that you can barely navigate through winter in Albany, you should come down to DePaula Chevy for a reliable used car.
What Makes a Car Winter Ready
Whether you prefer to drive a sedan, SUV, or pickup – the bowtie brand has winter ready vehicles in just about every size, shape, and color. No matter your preference, Chevrolet has you covered. Before we look at our list of top Chevy vehicles to tackle winter this year, let’s explore the criteria that makes a vehicle winter-ready.
- Stability: Taking a front-wheel-drive vehicle out in the snow and ice is possible, but can certainly be tricky. Rather than worrying about whether your vehicle will gain enough traction in deep snow or on icy roadways, consider a car with either all-wheel-drive or four-wheel-drive. These types of vehicles are better equipped to confidently maneuver in slippery conditions, and if you are in the market for a new-to-you car, you should seriously consider opting for this type of stability.
- Weight: A vehicle that is subcompact or even compact can prove dangerous in certain hazardous road conditions. These cars tend to be lighter in weight, which can make it harder to get good traction on the road. A heavier-set car may not get the maximum amount of MPGs that a subcompact would, but safety definitely outweighs the few dollars you would save at the pump.
- Safety Features: This category has come a long way, especially in recent years. Automotive brands are packing in standard safety features that help in all road conditions, and some are incredibly helpful in the winter season. All Chevrolet vehicles are equipped with OnStar services, which automatically respond in the event of a crash, and can help drivers who might get stuck in a ditch when the snow starts falling. Standard rear-view cameras are also available on most Chevy models, with plenty added to pre-owned versions as well. These cameras can be a key component to keeping you safe and on your intended path, even when you find yourself in deep snow.
- Vehicle Type: A Camaro or Corvette isn’t going to be the most capable car to maneuver the harsh elements of winter driving, which is why it is important to consider what you will be using your pre-owned Chevy for, prior to purchasing one. As your primary vehicle in New York, a full-size sedan, capable crossover, or power-packed pickup truck may be better options than a pony car.
Best Pre-Owned Chevys for Winter Driving
When it comes down to it, choosing the right pre-owned Chevrolet can mean the difference between an enjoyable or miserable winter this year. Check out the different vehicle segments, and what Chevy offers for winter-capable cars in each one of them.
- Crossovers and SUVs: One of the bowtie brand’s largest segment offerings, there are five models that are equipped to handle winter, and all of its challenges, in this category. Check them out below:
- Trax: The newest in the bowtie SUV lineup, this compact crossover has only two model years under its belt. It also has all-wheel-drive, ABS brakes, emergency OnStar support, and rear park assist features on well-equipped models. An economical choice that is also safe for winter driving.
- Equinox: This compact crossover is also capable of winter driving, and features a heavier and larger body than the smaller Trax. A used Equinox is offered with a powerful V6 engine, as well as capable AWD. With a lower starting MSRP, the Equinox makes for a very affordable used crossover.
- Traverse: Starting with the 2014 model year, the Traverse was offered with advanced safety features, as well as AWD. Larger than the Equinox, the Traverse lives up to its name, ready to conquer whatever terrain or element you put in its path. A great family midsize crossover for drivers who need the extra space, and want the capability and assurance of winter driving.
- Tahoe and Suburban: These two models certainly stand out on their own, but with one essentially being the larger version of the other, we are lumping them together for our purposes. Both of these large SUVs offer more winter-driving utility than any other SUV in the Chevy lineup. With rear-wheel-drive and four-wheel-drive, both of these SUVs can not only tolerate winter, they can conquer it. A major perk for buying these SUVs used, is that they have both been around for decades, and offer extensive options in terms of price, model year, and standard features. The Tahoe was completely redesigned for the 2016 model year, and the larger Suburban was overhauled for 2015 – both of which have great pre-owned versions from extensive model years.
- Pickup Trucks: It may be obvious that pickups make great winter vehicles, but the Chevy lineup of trucks is more capable than most people realize. Check out the two offerings from Chevy, and why they make great winter-ready vehicles to purchase used.
- Silverado: Varying in size, power, and standard amenities, the Silverado has been around for many years, and every model year is fully equipped for winter driving. With 4WD, AWD, and RWD options, the Silverado is the most capable full-size pickup on the road today.
- Colorado: The second bowtie-brand pickup, the Colorado is classified as midsize, but don’t let that fool you. Fully ready for every type of terrain and environmental element, the Colorado has been voted the Best Truck of the Year by Motor Trend Magazine for two years in a row. Earlier versions are available, but we highly recommend purchasing a used version of this truck from either the 2015 or 2016 model year – which was when it was revived and overhauled. With the option of RWD or 4WD, the Colorado may be midsize, but it packs plenty of power and performance to keep you safe.
Check Them Out at DePaula Used Chevrolet
Here at DePaula Chevy, we have a huge selection of quality pre-owned Chevrolet vehicles that are ready to help you navigate winter in Albany, NY and beyond. Don’t settle for brands that aren’t as devoted to winter-ready vehicles, come see for yourself what makes Chevy vehicles uniquely qualified for winter driving. Come down and see us for a test drive today!