4 Reasons to Sell Your Car Without Replacing It
If you have ever thought about selling your current car without having a replacement lined up, chances are you have received quite a few unsavory responses from friends and family members. “What do you mean, no car? How will you get around? Don’t expect to be bumming rides off of me all the time!” The list goes on and on…and on. Regardless of why you are getting rid of your car prior to buying another one, or whether you plan to bum rides off of friends the rest of your life, doesn’t matter. What matters is that you are on the fence about whether to listen to those many naysaying voices or tell them to hit the road and go with your gut instinct to – sell my car. Choosing which direction to take can be difficult – but we are here to help!
4 Reasons to Sell Your Car and NOT Trade It In
As a car owner looking to unload his or her vehicle, you basically have two options: 1 – sell it for cash; 2 – trade it into a dealership. The options are both viable for different types of people, and depending on what your particular needs are, one might be more beneficial than the other.
Selling your car before jumping into another long-term human-steel relationship can be a tricky one to navigate – but there are plenty of reasons why you should take the leap and the risk. Let’s take a look at a few of the compelling reasons why you should ditch your wheels and free yourself from the burden of car ownership:
• No More Monthly Car Payments: If you haven’t yet paid off your car, then chances are you are shelling out a boatload of cash each month just to park it in your garage. As much as I’m sure you enjoy bleeding money, selling your vehicle not only increases your cash flow immediately but will also help pad your wallet for months down the road. That’s what we like to call a win-win!
• No More Insurance Payments: Much like your monthly car payment, insurance coverage is not only costly but mandatory for car ownership. If you don’t regularly use your car, then writing those bi-annual or monthly checks to the insurance companies can leave you feeling robbed. When you trade your car in for cash, the insurance bills stop coming. Another win-win.
• No More Repair Bills: Even a car that isn’t used often still requires costly maintenance. Oil changes, tire rotations, new brake pads, batteries…the list can be never-ending. Rather than continue to spend money on a vehicle you don’t even drive to keep it in proper working order, sell it, and let the buyer take responsibility. Those repair bills may seem minor, but when you take a step back and look at the big picture, those bad boys add up rather fast.
• Not Jumping From One Bill to Another: When you trade your car in for a new or used one, you automatically start the car payment cycle back over again. It’s a vicious and unrelenting vortex of money going out, and no money coming back in.
Are You Ready to Take the Plunge?
Swapping your car out for a hefty check is tempting, but it is important to understand whether or not it is a realistic option for your lifestyle. If you are able to take a break from car ownership by selling your car for cash on the spot, then consider it as a serious option. It can be a great way to save money for the future and get creative about how you will navigate your daily routine.
City dwellers might be better able to handle not having a car to get around, but even those living in more rural areas of New York have been able to successfully break free from owning a personal vehicle. Taking a look at how often you use your car, as well as alternative ways to get around, will both help you determine whether this is the right path to take.
Selling your car for cash and taking the plunge into a life without a set of wheels can be intimidating, but it can also free you up from a lot of responsibility. As an adult, your life has been teeming with responsibility since the day you turned eighteen. Owning a car is one more responsibility that, through careful planning, can be avoided. Going without a reliable form of transportation is not for everyone, and may not be sustainable for others in the long run.
Deciding Whether to Sell Your Car
If you are leaning toward selling your car without replacing it with another, then it is important to take a few steps to ensure you are making the right decision.
• Look at your daily routine. If you work from home or live in a densely populated area, then walking or riding a bike may be a great solution. If you live in a less populated area, check the bus schedule and other forms of public transportation. If you work from home, and typically rely on your car for the purposes of running errands, see if you can find a friend to complete weekly errands with, rather than keeping a car solely for this purpose.
• Figure out what your end goal is. If you want to sell your car due to a cash flow problem, then you may end up hurting yourself in the long run. If your lifestyle demands a reliable form of transportation, but your vehicle is the only way to solve financial issues, it’s a catch 22 that will always catch up to you. If you are truly in a place where you can go without a car and want to save money, then selling your vehicle for cash is a great option.
Once you make the decision, be sure to come down to DePaula Chevrolet in Albany, New York. The family owned and operated dealership will purchase your vehicle for cash, with absolutely zero obligation to replace it. Rather than waste days trying to sell it, the team at DePaula Chevrolet makes it easy to transition from owning a car, to selling it for cash.